Monday, September 1, 2008

ADDENDUM

To add to the previous blog:

After hearing more about Gov. Palin, I realize that her choice is not quite the bad faith move that I originally claimed; it initially struck me as aimed primarily at the disgruntled Hilaryites who might decide to jump to the Republican side. But it's clear that Palin represents a very different agenda than Clinton's, so it's not a move to curry favor with those Democrat women nonplused by Obama, rather it's an effort to curry favor with the big conservative guns of the Republican Christians. In other words, it's canny politics, in the sense that McCain, if anyone, had the vote of such constituents, but he didn't really have their support -- in the sense of beat-the-bushes for votes (or for something to shoot), drop-to-knees in prayer, write hefty check for victory, spawn numerous kids for all-in-the-family photo ops, etc. Now, presumably, he has it more than ever.

Also, when I stressed the word "old" at the end of the blog, I was specifically reacting to the fact -- historic for me -- that if Obama is elected, he'll be the first president younger than I am! And the times, they are a-changin'...

No comments: